web server in Samba4

James Peach jpeach at sgi.com
Wed Jun 1 22:51:36 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 08:01:44PM +1000, Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> James,
>
>  > One way we have done this successfully in the past is to write a PCP
>  > agent to export the performance metrics.
>
> yes, PCP is nice, and I wrote an agent for Samba2 for PCP a few years
> back, but I don't want to rely on it for performance monitoring the
> management interface.

Fair enough. I re-read my earlier email, and it's a bit ambiguous. I'm
not really advocating that PCP itself should be the performance metrics
export mechanism. The export mechanism should be general enough that
people can write both a PCP agent and an SNMP agent if they want.

> I suspect we'll end up with a little monitoring framework of some sort
> builtin, and then have some code to glue this to other monitoring
> systems. I don't yet have a firm idea what this framework would look
> like and right now it isn't a high priority for me. Maybe once we've
> got the first pre-release done we can think about it.

Hopefully I'll have something more concrete to contribute by that time :)

--
James Peach | jpeach at sgi.com | SGI Australian Software Group
I don't speak for SGI.