libmsrpc for Samba 3

Chris Nicholls skel at samba.org
Thu Jul 7 16:57:21 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

>Chris Nicholls wrote:
>

>>I'll add the the rpc_includes.h and rpc_proto.h, along
>>with the quick and dirty makefile to the source/libmsrpc/
>>directory for the moment and get that commited to svn tonight
>>once I widdle down the headers a bit.
>>

>The svn issues should be clread up for you.  I'm checking
>with metze on whether this was the proper solution since
>it will affect other developers in the soc group as well.

the issue has been cleared up and I was able to commit the libmsrpc/
directory.

>>As for the interface I'll have to put a bit more thought
>>into it. I think the current interface is ok for the moment
>>but I figure once I get a little deeper into it i'll
>>have some good ideas.
>>

>I'd suggest look at the Win32 API here (never thought I
>would say that).  The registry API is given here:
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/registry_functions.asp
>
>I'm not saying this is perfect by any means (it's down right
>horrible in some places), but we should know the related work
>before writing a new one.
>
>Als given, our client library, I don't have a problem forcing
>the the claling application to initialize the an MsRpcServerHandle
>that would be passed into each function.  The MsRpcServerHandle*
>would represent the client state and map to an unlying
>libsmbclient context possibly.  We could then multiplex the
>various pipe opens over a single MsRpcServerHandle*.

I think usinga construct like a server handle could work quite well.
Although an application has to initialize it at first, once that's done
they won't have to worry about it (aside from passing it into the
functions).  Using a libsmbclient context would work well too.  It has a
bit more information than I think will be needed for libmsrpc, however
it already has a number of useful functions that are ready to use with
it (ie the callbacks). Using one would also have the advantage of easliy
being able to convert between a libsmbclient context and a
MsRpcServerHandle, which I can see being useful to developers writing
applications using both libsmbclient and libmsrpc.