winbind in samba4?

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Thu Jan 6 22:33:24 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 23:06 +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> Thinking about a winbind architecture for samba4 I think that the "single"
> process model quite exactly matches what would be needed. If that is chosen
> explicitly, winbind might fit quite well into smbd. If the standard process
> model is chosen, this does not work anymore, as we need to share connections to
> domain controllers.

The "single" process model (single process, async rpc calls) is the way
I wanted to write winbindd in the first place but instead we ended up
with single process, sync rpc calls due to the limited rpc client
support in Samba 2/3.  Sorry everyone.  (-:

> How feasible would it be if 'server service = x y z winbind' is chosen in the
> "single" process model, just run winbind in normal smbd, and if the standard
> process model is chosen, fork off a winbind server, falling back to the
> "single" process model in that child, but leaving everything else in place?

I think keeping winbindd in a separate process all the time is the best
way to go.  It's easy to start and stop, and also administrators are
used to having the process entry around.

I'm not totally convinced about tridge's idea to run swat out of smbd
either for basically the same reasons.

Tim.