libnet_join advice

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 28 21:28:20 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 08:22 -0600, Brad Henry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> One of the things we've done with the dssync SOC project has been to
> separate the logic in libnet_join.c, so that the ADS specific part of a
> dc join occurs in a seperate function.
>
> I was wondering how much farther we want to go with an ADS dc join in
> libnet. The machine account gets created using SAMR, but not the AD
> container entries. I have put the code together (commented out in
> dssync.c as metze was able to determine that we don't need a dc join to
> successfully call dcerpc_drsuapi_DSGetNCChanges()) to accomplish the
> join and accompanying removal, using ldb to perform the LDAP operations
> on AD (and dcerpc_drsuapi_DsAddEntry() to create the NTDS container),
> and cldap_netlogon() to resolve the proper site name.
>
> Do you think I should spend some time this week supporting this in
> libnet? Being that it had already been working and tested in dssync.c, I
> would expect that it would be a minimal investment of effort/time to
> move it to libnet. Is there a better place to do these additional steps,
> or a reason they aren't in libnet already?

I added the very basics to libnet because I just needed to join Samba4
to an ADS domain, to test out ADS member server code.  Naturally, it
does need to be extended for the DC case, and I'm happy to see that code
moved across.

> Should I just 'focus on dssync' until the SOC is over?  Bonus marks
> perhaps. ;)

I'm happy either way.  Whatever you feel will best show off your talents
for the SOC writeup :-).