Samba 4 diffs for building under HP-UX 11.11 (in gcc environment)

Don McCall donmccall1 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 14:23:35 GMT 2005

Thanks, Tridge!
I'm working it now.  Seems that our 'nobody'/'nogroup' entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group had been removed on the build machine; HP-UX by default sets these with uid/gid = -2/-2 .  In our packaging of Samba 3.x we actually create a 'smbnull' user and group with positive uid/gid's and set the guest account by default to this user.

I've re-added the default nobody/nogroup entries to gwen, and will take a look.
thanks for the patch!

Don

tridge at samba.org wrote:
Don,

Looks like we are close. The HPUX machine 'gwen' in the build farm is
now building fine, but is failing its selftest. The failure is rather
strange, it seems that getpwnam("nobody") is failing. Is 'nobody' a
standard account on HPUX? Is there something strange about the nss
libs that would make getpwnam("nobody") fail?

You can see the failure here:

http://build.samba.org/?function=View+Build;host=gwen;tree=samba4;compiler=gcc

You will see:

Unable to find user/group for nobody

Can I possibly ask you to help us debug this? First off, build Samba4
and run 'make test'. If that passes then your machine doesn't have the
problem and its just 'gwen'. If it fails, then can you possibly run
this:

gdb bin/smbscript
# b ejs_getpwnam
# run setup/provision --domain=testdom --realm=example.net --adminpass=test

then when it breaks in ejs_getpwnam() have a look at the getpwnam()
call and see if you can spot whats happening. Maybe mprToString() is
failing?

I don't have direct access to a HPUX machine, so its a bit hard for me
to debug.

Cheers, Tridge