AW: Re: Samba4 and OpenLDAP

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 14 11:56:26 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 13:21 +0200, Holger Schmieder wrote:
> Hallo Andrew,
>
> thanks for the verry fast answer.
>
> Regarding your question: In my special case i have all the
> accounts and the passwords in OpenLDAP. The user can change
> the password on a website and with his windows-client (today
> with smb-ldap). There are some more applications auhtenticating
> is against the OpenLDAP-uid/userPassword -Attributes.

Ok, so not anything specific to OpenLDAP, just internet standard
attributes.

> O.k. if forgot, because of Clients 389 for samba-ldap must be. But now here comes up some more questions:
>
> Question1: Do i have a chance (and if yes how) to extend
> the samba's ldap-schema with additional attributes (some
> private objectclasses) or can i forward request for unknown
> attributes to samba to another ldap-server ?

Yes, I expect our schema will be extensible.  However, I also expect to
support simple binds and standard uid/uidNumber/etc schemas (similar to
Microsoft's recent adoption of that schema for SFU).  I'm not going to
have Samba4 be a windows lockin...