unix charset = latin prevents umlauts in new password

Ingo Steuwer steuwer at univention.de
Wed Aug 3 12:59:24 GMT 2005

Hi

if I set "unix charset = latin" in smb.conf (3.0.14a/debian sarge) I can use
smbclient and rpcclient in my environment (which doesn't use utf8) with
passwords containing german umlauts and change it to any new one using
smbpasswd.

I can also authenticate with my Windows-XP Domain Member using this password,
but what I can not do is change my password to a new password with umlauts.

From the users view this is even more strange since samba sends an
NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD, which leads windows to acclaim that the old
password was wrong while the failure was generated by the new one. New
passwords without umlauts will work fine. Setting "unix charset" to default
also works.

I can send you the log if interrested.

Regards
Ingo Steuwer

--
Ingo Steuwer       steuwer at univention.de         fon: +49 421 22 232- 0
Entwicklung        Linux for Your Business