utmp update for bsd systems (try 2)

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Apr 15 12:13:11 GMT 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Michael Shalayeff wrote:

> re
> i have posted this before but received no response...
> is there anybod reading on this address?
> cu
>
> ----- Forwarded message (env-from mickey) -----
>
> re
> this is a patch against samba-2.2.12p0 and adds support
> for updating utmp on bsds. code similarly ripped from
> openbsd's ftpd (;
> cu
> [...]

(Replying as original author of Samba's utmp code, but now long away from
active Samba participation.)

Thanks for looking at utmp-for-BSD.  Whilst there might not be many takers
for this combination (judging by fact it has been lacking for so long!),
it would still be a worthwhile addition to slot into the utmp code.  As
you'll have spotted, I tried to identify the likely issues in the code as
comments, and to leave hooks for someone like you for to use later.

As John T. mentioned in his reply, Samba 2.2 is no longer actively
maintained.

But I would warmly encourage you to try to re-cast, and test, your patch
onto a reasonably recent 3.0.x version.  Even if the patch doesn't drop in
cleanly first time, I suspect the changes would be small, as I suspect the
code has remained relatively unchanged for several years.

[Note: there is a currently live issue on the very latest "released then
retracted 3.0.14" version, so either step back a version (3.0.13) or wait
a couple of days until that issue is fixed.]

Whilst I cannot offer any direct BSD help, I  hope that encourages you
with your work.

Best wishes.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :