Invalid characters in file names

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Sat Apr 9 09:31:48 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 09:13 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Simo Sorce wrote:
>
> | Given that new clients do not have this problem and
> | that the windows shell do not allow you to create
> | files with such names anyway, I would like to add
> | a parameter called "mangle legacy" that address this case.
> | The parameter will not be on by default and will be
> | useful only for who happen to have unix apps (or unix
> | access eg by NFS/NCP/AppleTalk/...) that create such
> | filenames. If the parameter is active such names will
> | be mangled, otherwise not.
>
> I think I'll defer to Jeremy's judgement on this on.

Ok, but the change is easy, we already check the name does not end with
a dot, adding a check for it ending with a space is trivial.

> Why can't we just mangle them by default ?

I think we already do for files starting or ending with a dot, but newer
windows servers (and clients) now allow these kind of filenames, so I
would like to just make that option as a plus.

> I expect
> the performance hit would be high since it would involve
> check each and every filename we return.

Don't we already do that? Or do we do it only if we are requested for
8.3 file names ?

> On second thought.  I'm much more prone not to do anything
> an leave the responsibility on the admin for dealing with
> these types of things.

Acceptable.
Jeremy any comment from you?

Simo.