SAMBA & ISAM Databases

Pepe Guimarães pg at moose-software.com
Wed Sep 15 10:52:49 GMT 2004

"strict locking

This option checks every file access for a byte-range lock on the range
of bytes being accessed. This is typically not needed if a client
adheres to all the locking mechanisms in place. This option is set to no
by default; however, you can reset it per share as follows:

[accounting]
    strict locking = yes

If this option is set to yes, mandatory locks are enforced on any file
with byte-range locks."

Extract from Chapter 8 of "Using Samba" 2nd edtion (The latest stable
distribution as of this writing is Samba 2.2.6, and this book focuses
mainly on the functionality supported in Samba 2.2.6)

Wouldn't be sufficient with locking=yes and veto oplock files ?

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 19:49, Pepe Guimarães wrote:
> I think I managed to get a working configuration.
>
> I would like to have your opinions.
>
> I am running RH 8 with Samba 3.0.5
>
> 1) No samba shared mounted on Linux (this way I avoid smbfs)
>
> 2) Parameters in smb.conf for the share:
> 		-locking = yes
> 		-veto oplock files = *.dat/*.k*/*.hdr    (in my case)
> 		-strict locking = no
>

> That last parameter seems to be the one that avoided writing new
> records to a file by the windows program while that same file was open

> by the Linux program.

And as a result, corrupting the database.  At a minimum, I would expect
you to require that parameter to be on.  The rest is up to the
windows/posix mappings, and how well the posix side works with the
CIFS/POSIX mapping spec.  (Developed by HP I think).

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net