SAMBA & ISAM Databases

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 15 09:54:25 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 19:49, Pepe Guimarães wrote:
> I think I managed to get a working configuration.
>
> I would like to have your opinions.
>
> I am running RH 8 with Samba 3.0.5
>
> 1) No samba shared mounted on Linux (this way I avoid smbfs)
>
> 2) Parameters in smb.conf for the share:
> 		-locking = yes
> 		-veto oplock files = *.dat/*.k*/*.hdr    (in my case)
> 		-strict locking = no
>

> That last parameter seems to be the one that avoided writing new records
> to a file by the windows program while that same file was open by the
> Linux program.

And as a result, corrupting the database.  At a minimum, I would expect
you to require that parameter to be on.  The rest is up to the
windows/posix mappings, and how well the posix side works with the
CIFS/POSIX mapping spec.  (Developed by HP I think).

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net