Which Samba - 3.0.x, 3.2 or 4.0?

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Oct 21 06:57:53 GMT 2004

Arup,

 > Thanks a lot for your time in replying to my question.
 > This would definitely encourage me to take a deeper
 > look at Samba4. I am sure I will have more questions
 > when I delve more into it. Just a short one for now - is
 > the Kerberos authentication part functional now?

as Andrew said in his reply, it is functional, but probably not in a
way that is really useful for you right now. Most NAS vendors usually
care most about being a domain member and as yet the domain member
code isn't hooked up in Samba4.

So if all you care about is authentication then it probably is too
early for you to start working with Samba4, but if you care about
filesystem features then now is definately the time to start taking a
look.

Cheers, Tridge