Perl bindings for libsmbclient

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Oct 13 07:09:12 GMT 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:39:47 -0700 (PDT)
Richard Sharpe <rsharpe at richardsharpe.com> wrote:

> I think we should be real careful about getting libsmbclient to do too
> many things. It was intended to implement a POSIX-like interface to CIFS.

Not sure if you realized my point was consolation for your (actually
Andrew's) concern regarding the multiplexing of too much functionality
thorugh libsmbclient.

Again, in more detail -- by exposing a dce pipe through libsmbclient
you minimize changes to the api and yet open up the potential to build
a lot on top. For example it could be as simple as:

  pipe = smbc_open("smb://server/IPC$/lsarpc", O_RDWR | O_DCEPIPE);
  LsarQueryInformationPolicy(pipe, handle, POLICY_INFO_ACCOUNT_DOMAIN,
&info);

The stub would handle all marshalling of parameters. Ultimately it would
just call write and read.  Yeah, there would need to be changes internally
to check for O_DCEPIPE and call a transaction w/ readx and so on but it's
fairly separable. The idl compiler does the bulk of the work. And voila
you have a whole range of workstation management functions available
(in a separate library if it pleases the).

Mike

--
Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.