Perl bindings for libsmbclient

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Wed Oct 13 05:39:47 GMT 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Michael B Allen wrote:

> Andrew Bartlett said:
> > We need a more general library, but the only code with any hope in this
> > area is Samba4 - the Samba3 code took a lot of work to get it as far as
> > libsmbclient, I would be pessimistic at providing sensible RPC functions
> > interfaces there.
>
> What about adding functions that will write stub data to a named pipe
> dce style with bind negotiation, xtra reads, etc. Then anyone who can
> generate or write marshalling routines can do RPCs on top. Mike

I think we should be real careful about getting libsmbclient to do too
many things. It was intended to implement a POSIX-like interface to CIFS.

I think we should look at:

1. A POSIX-like interface, with perhaps a bit more, and

2. A Win32-like interface that provides many of the Win32 functions, with
them calling RPC client code where appropriate ...

Regards
-----