Issues with Samba file sharing [op[locks]

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Wed Nov 24 13:25:26 GMT 2004

Message: 14
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:51:20 +0530
: Lakshman Babu wrote:
I When I upload a new wma/rm file to the existing file (ie overwrite the
| file in the NAS) the WM server won't update the file if people are
| already listening to the file being updated connected via WM client.
| It will continue to play the old file than to play the new file which
| was being updated.

I saw a similar issue in the past, and switched to updating the
files via a makefile or script which used smbclient. This
triggered oplock processing, and resulted in the files changing.

I suspect this is the cp/mv/update logic in Unix interacting with the
oplock semantics in Windows to produce an unexpected result,
rather like you suggest.

--dave