libraries and the build system

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Nov 18 00:19:54 GMT 2004

tridge at samba.org said:
> I am not against the possibility of _optionally_ supporting shared
> libs, but I would be most certainly against making them the default
> without very careful consideration.

I think this is highly dependant on how well the library interface is
defined and what dependencies it has. If you have a nugget of code that
hasn't changed since Samba 2.2 and depends on nothing except posix then
splitting that out as a shared lib is an obvious plus.

I'm a HUGE fan of librarifying stuff into well defined / small interfaces.
Even if I think it's only a little one-time utility.

Mike