libraries and the build system

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Nov 17 22:51:11 GMT 2004

Andreas,

 > So do static libraries. What if there is a problem with the library
 > which requires rebuilding all applications which used it statically?
 > Is everybody prepared to rebuild KDE and GNOME components? They use
 > libsmbclient (shared) today.
 >
 > If that's not what this is about, sorry, just ignore this email.

for external (non-samba) apps on modern platforms shared libs do
indeed make sense for exactly that reason.

but we can't take them on lightly. We need a plan (and volunteers for
the effort) to create libs that won't be more of a curse than a
benefit.

for internal samba use their benefits are much more dubious.

Cheers, Tridge