what is the difference between smbmount and smbmnt?

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 17 15:48:44 GMT 2004

> Question: Why are smbmount and smbmnt two separate programs?
> Couldn't all of these tasks been handled more efficiently
> without the extra exec()?

I doubt that it makes much difference.

I did think about how large the smbfs user space code was getting and
whether there were efficiency issues in the kernel/user transitions (e.g.
when I added signing code in kernel rather than putting it in user space)
when I made the replacement cifs vfs and so created a relatively small,
single mount daemon (mount.cifs) which did not static link in lots, and
which relied more on kernel code, instead of the smbmount/smbmnt/smbumount
(which on my system are over 1/2 a MB each),  I doubt that the exec itself
is particularly slow though.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com