svn commit: samba r3708 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source/smbd: .

Lars MÜLLER lmuelle at SuSE.de
Fri Nov 12 21:14:06 GMT 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 11:43:53AM -0600, Gerald Carter wrote:

> jerry at samba.org wrote:
> | Author: jerry
> | Date: 2004-11-12 17:39:32 +0000 (Fri, 12 Nov 2004)
> | New Revision: 3708
> |
> | WebSVN:
> http://websvn.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?view=rev&root=samba&rev=3708
> |
> | Log:
> | BUG 1838: patch from Gavrie Philipson <gavrie at disksites.com>
> | to remove stale printers when reloading after a sighup
> | Modified:
> |    branches/SAMBA_3_0/source/smbd/server.c
>
> I'm not sure if the 'printcap cache time' option is really
> necessary anymore since we clean out the printers list
> after (a) receieving a sughup,

Jerry,

that alone isn't enought in real as we don't want the CUPS admin to call
the Samba admin by phone to issue a SIGHUP.

> and (b) periodically reloading
> the services (every 3 minutes).

If this ensures to remove stale printers and to add printers added to
the printing system in between the last reload then we should remove the
'printcap cache time' option.

> What do you think ?  Looks ot me that we have a built in
> time of 3 minutes and unless the 'printcap cache time' is
> less that that, smbd will just do extra, uneccessary work.

Remove it. Best if the changes are included in 3.0.9. Then I'll remove
'printcap cache time' from our default smb.conf.

Lars
--
Lars MÜLLER [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]