samba4: unsigned char -> uint8

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sat May 29 19:07:57 GMT 2004

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 10:35:45PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
:
> There seems to be some '_t' is better syndrome.  Why exactly is that?
> What is wrong with the historic, provided types, where the particular
> size doesn't matter?

We discussed a while ago using the ISO C99 7.18 Integer types.  They're
defined in <stdint.h>.  The plan, as I understood it, was to use these for
any expose APIs that Samba offers and also in any situation where we were
creating a typedef or struct.  Particularly those holding data to be used
on the wire.

As Jeremy rightly points out, however, we have to do conversions
(carefully) when using these values with system calls that use older
conventions.

Personally, I think that the history of C has left things a little muddled
in this area.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org