samba4: unsigned char -> uint8

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Sat May 29 08:19:33 GMT 2004

Andrew Bartlett schrieb:
> On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 09:03, tridge at samba.org wrote:
>
>>Metze,
>>
>> > any objections when I convert 'unsigned char' to uint8
>> > in samba4
>> >
>> > and 'unsigned' and 'unsigned int' to uint_t.
>>
>>That's OK with me.
>

> Lets just make sure we don't take it too far - I don't want to see all
> our string becoming 'int8 *' ;-)

I think 'int' and 'char' should be used in samba4.

> Personally, I don't see the point in the short names for 'unsigned
> int'.  I understand the need for explicit 64 bit names in particular
> (where various compilers call it a different thing) but what exactly was
> wrong with 'unsigned int'?

There's nothing wrong, but I think it would be usefull to a minal
set of basic data types we use in samba4.

That will make our configure tests uch easier.

And also we currently have inside some structs one filed as 'unsigned'
and another one as 'unsigned int' and maybe another as 'uint_t',
and that's VERY confusing for someone to read that code!

in samba4 we'll install a lot of header files to the system and other
projects will use them, so that's another reason for making the stuf
easier and better to follow...

--
metze

Stefan Metzmacher <metze at samba.org> www.samba.org