What libraries libsmbclient needs to be linked to?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 14 13:08:39 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 20:34, Timur I. Bakeyev wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Quite silly question:
>
> I'm trying to (re)make a separate package for
> libsmbclient, so it can be installed in the system without
> server part of the samba. The thing is, that if you have
> Kerberos and LDAP libraries in the system, they'll be
> linked against libsmbclient.
>
> My question is - is it really necessary? Does libsmbclient
> part actuall use LDAP and Kerberos for it's client
> functions or it's just relict of linking them against the
> server part? I.e. would the functionality of libsmbclient
> be truncated, if  not to link against this libraries :)?
> The same question applies to samba-python :)

The client is meant to be able to use kerberos.  Bugs in libsmbclient
(and the underlying libsmb code) currently prevent that, but it won't
link otherwise.

LDAP would not be strictly required in an ideal world, but I suspect it
will be hard to remove, unless you reconfigure without it (and therefore
remove it from the server)

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net