WINS TTL

Guillermo Gomez ggomez at neotechgw.net
Wed May 12 19:42:27 GMT 2004

Hi

I have a special requirement for the Samba WINS server: i need TTL times
in wins.dat very shorts (minutes range). But can't make it work the way
i want (tried the three ttl settings without luck, leases in wins.dat
are long, very long).

The overall situation is:

Win98 PPTP client
FortiGate Firewall (doing PPTP)
Samba Server running WINS server

The problem is that i need to print to a remote Win98 client from local
Samba Clients and the IP addresses asigned to remote PPPTP clients by
the FortiGate varies.

The client has configured the Samba WINS Server. When the client logs
into the VPN Network, they register their names into wins.dat.

But, when a client VPN IP addresses changes (next connection probably
during the same day), it can't register it's name because it's already
registered by himself but with another IP. Result: i can't reach remote
Win98 client by name.... i must achieve that in order to make Samba
works in our environment if i can't Samba is out :( Help please.

Thanks in advance

Guillermo
Caracas/Venezuela