tdbsam corruption?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue May 4 10:32:41 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 19:50, Tom Alsberg wrote:
> Having built samba-3.0.3 today, I tried the following:
>
> dev# smbpasswd -a smbtest
> (entered a password twice, was accepted)
>
> then:
>
> dev# pdbedit -L
> smbtest:31001:Samba Test User
>
> Now, after I started smbd and nmbd, doing:
>
> $ smbclient -L dev -U smbtest
>
> succeeds.
>
> But then:
>
> dev# pdbedit -L
> pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
> pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
> pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
> pdbedit in free(): warning: chunk is already free
> pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
> pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
> pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
> pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
> pdbedit in free(): warning: chunk is already free
> pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
> pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
> pdb_getsampwent: Bad SAM_ACCOUNT entry returned from TDB!
> :4294967295:
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

What OS is this?  Are you sure that Samba was built correctly?

> Yet, connecting to samba still works (authentication succeeds when it
> should).  Also, smbd does not modify the passdb.tdb file (its
> timestamp remains older).  But the secrets.tdb file is modified when a
> user connects - why is that?

Updating secrets.tdb with a new random seed (possibly not required, see
my post to this list recently)

> And why does pdbedit -L not like it (and
> segfault?)
>
> I have the following in my test smb.conf:
>
>         passdb backend  = tdbsam
>         auth methods    = sam

NEVER touch this setting.  (Well, at the very least, you need 'guest
sam_ignoredomain' for a standalone server, and you need to know both
what the undocumented defaults are, and what effect you desire...)

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net