tdbsam corruption?

Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
Tue May 4 09:50:47 GMT 2004

Having built samba-3.0.3 today, I tried the following:

dev# smbpasswd -a smbtest
(entered a password twice, was accepted)

then:

dev# pdbedit -L
smbtest:31001:Samba Test User

Now, after I started smbd and nmbd, doing:

$ smbclient -L dev -U smbtest

succeeds.

But then:

dev# pdbedit -L
pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
pdbedit in free(): warning: chunk is already free
pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
pdbedit in free(): warning: chunk is already free
pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
pdbedit in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
pdb_getsampwent: Bad SAM_ACCOUNT entry returned from TDB!
:4294967295:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Yet, connecting to samba still works (authentication succeeds when it
should).  Also, smbd does not modify the passdb.tdb file (its
timestamp remains older).  But the secrets.tdb file is modified when a
user connects - why is that?  And why does pdbedit -L not like it (and
segfault?)

I have the following in my test smb.conf:

        passdb backend  = tdbsam
        auth methods    = sam

Can anyone reproduce this problem at all?  Can this be a problem
affecting smbd, or is it only a read problem with pdbedit?

  Thanks,
  -- Tom

--
  Tom Alsberg - hacker (being the best description fitting this space)
  Web page:	http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~alsbergt/