smbmount japanese codepage conversion failure

Dina Fine dina at exanet.com
Sun Mar 7 17:22:41 GMT 2004

Hi,

We have a samba server(Version 3.0alpha20) configured with dos_charset = cp932 and unix_charset  = utf8

I am trying to mount to the server using smbmount command from linux kterm ($LANG=ja_JP.eucJP, kernel version=2.4)

 smbmount  //10.0.26.10/test /mnt/chill -o codepage=cp932,iocharset=euc-jp

the mount fails with:

23960: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid share name)
SMB connection failed

Although the share does exist.
Using tcpdump , we noticed that the smb share name is not converted from euc-jp to shift-jis(cp932) as expected -> smbserver doesn't recognize the share name.

Thanks in advance..

Dina