i18n question.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Mar 7 00:17:00 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 10:48, Michael B Allen wrote:
> > Michael> There are many good tools for converting entire filesystems from
> > one
> > Michael> encoding to another. Moving foward this will be the correct
> > solution.
> >
> > Not always.
> >
> > Unicode do not fully contain what we had in CP932 nor EUC nor
> > JIS. There is 'machine dependent' characters which causes trouble.
>
> So you're claiming you cannot map these to Unicode? If so, then you cannot
> use Windows fireservers with Unicode? Do you run entierly in a SHIFT-JIS,
> EUC-JP, or CP932 locale?

More seriously - if these character sets are not 'compatible' with
unicode, then the game is up.  There is no solution, as the on-wire
character set is UTF16.

We can't change what is on the wire, therefore whatever we use on the
disk *must* be compatible with unicode.  This is why we like UTF8 so
much :-)

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net