secrets.tdb - byte order independent? (SPARC/INTEL)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Mar 5 23:06:34 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 03:48, Paul Griffith wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to run Samba in parallel on two platforms, namely
> Solaris/SPARC and Linux/Intel. Each platform have it's own natively
> complied binaries, but they share the same config directory.

This sounds like you are asking for trouble.  Why should they share a
config directory?  TDB on NFS is considered a *really* bad idea.

> Now when I start the smbd and nmbd binaries on Linux/Intel it will
> recreate the secrets.tdb file. So the question is since secrets.tdb is a
> binary file doesn Samba do anything internally to keep the file byte order
> independent?
>
> Can I convert the Solaris generated secrets.tdb to a format that is usable
> on Linux/Intel. It would be a **ROYAL** pain to have each PC rejoin our
> domain just because of one file.

TDB *should* be able to be transported, but I don't think it gets tested
much.  I think we still have some 'unpacked' data structures in our TDB.

> If you need any more info please let me know.
>
> We are running Samba v2.2.8a

You should upgrade to 3.0.2a, if you want to run a PDC.  (3.0 supports
these things much better)

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net