validating owner sids

Guenther Deschner gd at sernet.de
Thu Jun 17 16:40:38 GMT 2004

Hi Jeremy & Tridge,

while working on a large file-server migration, I stumbled over the
ACL_FORCE_UNMAPPABLE-condition in smbd/posix_acl.c.

If set, unpack_nt_owners allows to map unmappable (group-only or
user-only) chown sets to the current user's uid (or gid).

Exactly this functionality is required if data-migration is done via e.g.
"scopy.exe" (the same applies to robocopy.exe). If not set, set_nt_acl
completley.

The ACL_FORCE_UNMAPPABLE-condition was first added by Tridge
* http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/samba/source/smbd/posix_acls.c.diff?r1=1.61&r2=1.62&f=h

was later replaced by Jeremy with a new configuration setting ("force
unkwnon acl user = BOOL").
* http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/samba/source/smbd/posix_acls.c.diff?r1=1.1.4.62&r2=1.1.4.63&f=h

This setting then was removed again from samba 2.2 during a merge from HEAD
* http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/samba/source/smbd/posix_acls.c.diff?r1=1.1.4.69&r2=1.1.4.70&f=h

and is now inaccessible (without recompiling). Could we please have back
the configuration setting - this time in samba 3.0 ?

Its obviously the only way to do automated and unattended
file-server-migration from nt4-servers with scopy/robocopy.

Thanks,
Guenther
--
Guenther Deschner,  SerNet Service Network GmbH
Phone: +49-(0)551-370000-0,  Fax: +49-(0)551-370000-9