libsmbclient and smb_opendir: problem with workgroup

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Jun 14 20:10:23 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 04:53:05PM -0300, Andreas wrote:

> > > What about the other workgroups?
> >
> > Change the default workgroup on the client and see what happens.  They
> > should work (unless they are similarly broken).
>
> Yes, then it works perfectly.

:)

> > No.  DUCKMAN is advertising having a list of machines in the MYGROUP
> > workgroup.  DUCKMAN *also* has a list of all known workgroups in the area.
>
> So, DUCKMAN is the right place to go to if you want the list for the MYGROUP
> group, and it happened that to also have a list of other workgroups. But it
> didn't answer, so libsmbclient gave up.

Yep.  That's because libsmbclient tries to collect the workgroup list from
the LMB for its default workgroup.

> > The smb:// form is supposed to collect the list of workgroups.  The
>
> See, this is what got me confused. I didn't realize that the group I'm in
> could affect this result if it had a non-working server. I just tought some
> sort of broadcast would be used to get a list of all workgroups.

It could be done that way, as Derrell pointed out.  The actuall breakage,
in your case, is DUCKMAN, but Derrell's fix would certainly bypass the
problem--at least at the "list of workgroups" level.

By the way, all LMBs are supposed to collect the list of workgroups.

> > NOTE:  All of this assumes that you're on the same subnet (which seems to
> >        be the case, based on the traces).  I haven't said anything about
> >        what happens across multiple subnets (which is even worse).  :)
>
> Your assumption is correct
>
> > Shameless plug:  You can read all about the Browse Service at
> >                  http://ubiqx.org/cifs/Browsing.html
>
> Thanks for your help :)

Glad it helped.  Thanks for posing an interesting problem.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org