libsmbclient and smb_opendir: problem with workgroup

Andreas andreas at conectiva.com.br
Mon Jun 14 19:53:05 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 02:35:26PM -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> > > If that's the case, then libsmbclient is doing the right things but cannot
> > > reach the browse master and, so, cannot obtain the list.
> >
> > What about the other workgroups?
>
> Change the default workgroup on the client and see what happens.  They
> should work (unless they are similarly broken).

Yes, then it works perfectly.

> No.  DUCKMAN is advertising having a list of machines in the MYGROUP
> workgroup.  DUCKMAN *also* has a list of all known workgroups in the area.

So, DUCKMAN is the right place to go to if you want the list for the MYGROUP
group, and it happened that to also have a list of other workgroups. But it
didn't answer, so libsmbclient gave up.

> The smb:// form is supposed to collect the list of workgroups.  The

See, this is what got me confused. I didn't realize that the group I'm in
could affect this result if it had a non-working server. I just tought some
sort of broadcast would be used to get a list of all workgroups.

> NOTE:  All of this assumes that you're on the same subnet (which seems to
>        be the case, based on the traces).  I haven't said anything about
>        what happens across multiple subnets (which is even worse).  :)

Your assumption is correct

> Shameless plug:  You can read all about the Browse Service at
>                  http://ubiqx.org/cifs/Browsing.html

Thanks for your help :)