svn commit: samba r1052 - branches/SAMBA_4_0/source/lib/ldb/man/man3

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Jun 7 12:26:17 GMT 2004

Hi Tridge,

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 02:48:49PM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote about 'Re: svn commit: samba r1052 - branches/SAMBA_4_0/source/lib/ldb/man/man3':
> Jelmer,

>  > tridge, do you need to keep the ldb manpage in source/lib/ldb/docs/ or
>  > would it be ok if I imported it into docs-4.0 ?

> I hope that ldb will become a fairly widely used database library, so
> I think it needs documentation outside the samba tree. The core of
> that should be manual pages for all of the ldb_*() functions.

> I think the easiest way to make this happen is to keep the docs in
> source/lib/ldb/docs/, so everything under source/lib/ldb/ is part of
> the standalone library. We should have a similar tree under
> source/lib/tdb/

> Sound ok?

Not really :-)

I'd like to be consistent about where we keep manpages and their
sources and in what format we write them. I can understand why you'd
like to keep them lib/ldb/docs.

Perhaps we should reconsider where we put the manpages in Samba 4?
How about:

- Keep the HOWTO and other large stuff in docs/
- Put manpages for various subsystems, their utilities, etc in
  source/*/man (DocBook/XML source in SVN, real manpage pre-generated
  in the tarball). E.g.
  source/lib/ldb/man/{ldb.7,ldbsearch.1,ldbmodify.1,...}

What do you think?

Cheers,

Jelmer

--