ldap_add_result_entry() problem in ads_do_search_all()

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Wed Feb 11 14:01:10 GMT 2004

Toomas Soome wrote:
> I'm trying to compile samba against solaris 9 bundled libldap (netscape
> c-api) but I have bumped against paged search - or how paged search is
> currently handled.
>
> the problem is that ldap_add_result_entry(), used in ads_do_search_all()
> is openldap specific and it's does not exist in ldap c-api AFAIK.
>
> it's also impossible to port this call, since
> draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-05.txt states clearly :
>
> The LDAPMessage structure is an opaque data type that is used to return
> entry, reference, result, and error information.  An LDAPMessage struc-
> ture can represent the beginning of a list, or chain of messages that
> consists of a series of entries, references, and result messages as
> returned by LDAP operations such as search.  LDAP API functions such as
> ldap_parse_result() that operate on message chains that can contain more
> than one result message always operate on the first result message in
> the chain.  See the "Obtaining Results and Peeking Inside LDAP Messages"
> section of this document for more information.
>
> So we can get data deom message, but there is no way to modify
> LDAPMessage in portable way....
>
> so it seems the paged search should be implemented in different way,
> with callbacks or in parts....

	Let me ask a colleague who knows a bit about both the Sun
	and open ldaps...  Dimitre, any suggestions?

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,       | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems,          | some people and astonish the rest.
(905) 415-2849 or x52849   | davecb at canada.sun.com