outsourcing DCE/RPC to alternate programs - runtime config option

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Dec 11 14:13:20 GMT 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 12:37:01AM +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:
>  >  are you sure that you're not confusing interface versioning
>  >  with something else?
>
> yes, i'm quite sure.
>
> don't make the mistake of thinking the samba4 rpc code is anything
> like the samba3 code or the tng code. It is a completely different
> animal. We handle and check interface versions, and we handle multiple
> interfaces on a pipe.

 ah - you have a different design architecture, okay.

 well, i feel confident that you will be able to come up with a
 methodology that will enable you to pass RPC traffic over to a samba 3
 server that fits with the samba 4 design architecture.

 and, also, ultimately and probably just for fun or maybe even a
 practical purpose, to pass traffic back the other way (!) namely to
 allow administrators to continue at some point, maybe for legacy
 purposes, a samba 3 smbd, whilst at the same time upgrading to samba 4
 NT domain compatible services.

 circumstances under which i can genuinely see a need for this would be
 because samba 3 supports oh i dunno windows 95 clients better or
 windows 3.1 clients better or something ridiculous, and samba 4, being
 the less mature project, hasn't had the benefit of fifteen years of
 gribbly-bit real-world exposure.

 [netscape abandoning their codebase and starting from scratch, anyone?]

> [...]

> If you look at this carefully you will see that ipc level pipes can
> cover several totally different rpc interfaces.

 i am sure that the people who choose to assist you with this endeavour
 will benefit from your advice and guidance.

 my only sincere hope is that there be a common API that allows present
 and future versions of smbd (tng, xad, 3, 4, even cliffs god-help-us)
 and other SMB client/server projects (most notably current open source
 projects Wine and ReactOS) to interoperate / select the most
 appropriate components to further their goals.

 incredibly, without this simple interface at this absolutely
 critical critical juncture, that just... cannot happen.

 l.