KIP, Powerprint Request software -samba

Mark Nehemiah mnehemiah at urschel.com
Fri Aug 13 14:13:40 GMT 2004

On Fri, August 13, 2004 4:43 am, Martin Zielinski said:

> Samba creates a directory listing for each file request with
> "dptr_create(...)" to find a match between the file and the directory
> content.
>
> I think, the way to fix this behaviour ist to detect, that the file name
> is
> NOT a wildcard but a valid file name. Checking, if we can get an excact
> match
> on the pattern, and - if so - skip the directory listing could be the
> trick.

I just got done doing a log level 10 myself.  I was about to do some
ethereal captures, and saw your messages.  Thanks for the great analysis,
I really appreciate it,  you are more on top of Samba than myself, that's
for sure.  Hopefully someone can get some more insight to this and share.

> But I'm not deep enaugh in Samba to be really shure about that or even
> able to
> test it by hacking Samba :-(
>
> BTW: I use reiserfs and this is optimized for large directory listings.

Did you happen to try this on a reiserfs volume?   I've debated myself
several times about using reiserfs.  If I have time I'll test today,
otherwise, somtime soon.

--Mark..