KIP, Powerprint Request software -samba

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Fri Aug 13 09:43:10 GMT 2004

On Friday 13 August 2004 10:50, Thomas Mieslinger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> so how long does the directory listing on the Linux commandline take? maybe
> this ain't a Samba Problem, but an ext3 issue. how about an other test
> using xfs?

That's not the problem. Even the directory listing from Windows, using the
explorer is fast.
I'm not so deep in Windows API, but the slow-down effect using the Powerprint
application is caused by treating the request (samba calls it
"trans2findfirst") as a request using a wildcard.
Maybe the correct behaviour to get the file info would be a different call
from the Windows API - but I don't know.

Samba creates a directory listing for each file request with
"dptr_create(...)" to find a match between the file and the directory
content.

I think, the way to fix this behaviour ist to detect, that the file name is
NOT a wildcard but a valid file name. Checking, if we can get an excact match
on the pattern, and - if so - skip the directory listing could be the trick.

But I'm not deep enaugh in Samba to be really shure about that or even able to
test it by hacking Samba :-(

BTW: I use reiserfs and this is optimized for large directory listings.

Cheers,
Martin

Martin Zielinski                       mz at seh.de
Software Development