a plan for ADS, LDAP and ldb

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Sat Apr 17 15:37:21 GMT 2004

Roland,

 > Would that still allow for the combination of Samba and non-Samba
 > information in the same LDAP directory? I think being able to do that is
 > a great feature. That way, you can have Samba, mail routing and all
 > other sort of information in one place. I'm sorry if I got you wrong,
 > that didn't seem clear to me in your proposal.

yes, this is something we discussed at SambaXP, but I should have
included it in my email for people who weren't at the conference.

At the moment in Samba3 we support these mixed accounts at a
granularity of a whole database, but in Samba4 I propose to support
this at the granularity of each account. So an account record in ldb
will be able to have a marker to say "get the unix information from
nss". In that case the uid, gid, home directory, full name etc will
come from /etc/passwd (or whatever you are using) and the rest of the
user information will be in the ldb record.

Cheers, Tridge