[Fwd: Samba 3.0.0-1 user privileges problem]

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Sep 28 03:08:56 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 19:34, Joe Daily wrote:
> I have samba 3.0.0-1 server running as a PDC, laptop x and workstation y
>
> Now when i am logged in as the DOMAIN\*anyuser and i go to control panel
> user accounts; it says that the user does not have the needed permissions
> and asked for user/password/domain. If i put in root/password/domain. it
> continues to say that the user does not have the needed permissions and
> asked for user/password/domain again.
>
> Isn't the root acount the domain administrator.

Only if you make it.  If you put root into a group that is mapped to the
'domain administrators' group, then then root is a domain admin -
otherwise it's just another account.

> All i really what to do is allow for my laptop and workstations to set the
> time off my linux server using net time /domain:blah /set /y. Is there a
> way i can have the samba server say that all users have power user or
> administrator privilevge (it is just me) without having to mess with
> windows.

Power users is a matter of going to each machine, and putting what
users/groups you want in there - but the 'local administrators' includes
all members of the 'domain administrators' group on the DC by default,
when you join.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net