[Fwd: Samba 3.0.0-1 user privileges problem]

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Sep 28 01:17:32 GMT 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Joe Daily wrote:

> I have samba 3.0.0-1 server running as a PDC, laptop x and workstation y
>
> Now when i am logged in as the DOMAIN\*anyuser and i go to control panel
> user accounts; it says that the user does not have the needed permissions
> and asked for user/password/domain. If i put in root/password/domain. it
> continues to say that the user does not have the needed permissions and
> asked for user/password/domain again.
>
> Isn't the root acount the domain administrator.
>
> All i really what to do is allow for my laptop and workstations to set the
> time off my linux server using net time /domain:blah /set /y. Is there a
> way i can have the samba server say that all users have power user or
> administrator privilevge (it is just me) without having to mess with
> windows.
>
> On a side note, is there a flag(s) that can be placed into smbpasswd to
> correct this?

No. The right to change the local workstation date and time is controlled
on the local workstation by registry settings local to that workstation.
The only way you can over-ride local registry settings is by using a
policy file (NTConfig.POL), and that does not allow all local settings to
be changed. There are some settings that can be done only by making a once
only local change. To do this you need to log onto the workstation as the
local machine Administrator.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra