Samba 3 Beta2 -> RC4 behaviour changed ?

gary ng garyng2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 09:20:13 GMT 2003

Hi,

A few days ago, I have setup a Samba 3(beta 2) PDC
using LDAP as the backend. In that package, pdbedit
and smbpasswd would create the necessary entries in
LDAP if the user is not found. Today, I have installed
RC4 and found that the behaviour changed. The user
must be present in the database( before smbpasswd or
pdbedit -a would like to create the samba related info
into it. Is this intentional ? The related log is :

Finding user testing
Trying _Get_Pwnam(), username as lowercase is testing
Trying _Get_Pwnam(), username as uppercase is TESTING
Checking combinations of 0 uppercase letters in
testing
Get_Pwnam_internals didn't find user [testing]!
could not create account to add new user testing

So I got to have a unix account user before
smbpasswd/pdbedit would continue to create the 'samba'
account. This was not the case in Beta2.

Another issue is that I can no longer add machine with
'pdbedit -a -m machine'. It now gives me the following
error :

woody:~# pdbedit -a -m woody
Searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=EXAMPLE))]
smbldap_search_suffix: searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=EXAMPLE))]
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
Searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=EXAMPLE))]
smbldap_search_suffix: searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=EXAMPLE))]
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
smbldap_search_suffix: searching
for:[(&(uid=woody$)(objectclass=sambaSamAccount))]
smbldap_search_suffix: searching for:[(uid=woody$)]
smbldap_search_suffix: searching
for:[(&(sambaSID=S-0-0)(|(objectClass=sambaIdmapEntry)(objectClass=sambaSidEntry)))]
init_ldap_from_sam: Setting entry for user: woody$
ldapsam_modify_entry: Failed to add user dn=
uid=woody$,ou=Systems,dc=example,dc=org with: Object
class violation
        object class 'sambaSamAccount' requires
attribute 'sambaSID'
ldapsam_add_sam_account: failed to modify/add user
with uid = woody$ (dn =
uid=woody$,ou=Systems,dc=example,dc=org)
Unable to add machine! (does it already exist?)

It worked fine in Beta 2.

I have briefly browsed through the changelog and it
seems that somewhere between these release more
information is decided to be stored in LDAP but I
don't know what is needed to initialize it.