Mac OS X - compilation experiences and issues

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Sep 11 17:25:06 GMT 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 07:08:04PM +0200, Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:

> I know that and I personally don't like it either.  It's a fact though
> that Mac OS X does it this way.

Well it's a big mistake on Apples part. We've complained about
this before. They are the *only* vendor who did this. If this
is "thinking different" then they can keep it :-).

> So what you are effectively saying is you don't want Samba to compile
> OOTB on Mac now if you have to change the code for that?

I'm afraid that Apple will have to fix this for their Samba3.0.
It won't get fixed for 3.0. For 3.0.1 we could add something
that detects running on Mac and #ifdefs out that part of the
code, but that's a very ugly solution that makes the code
much less readable.

As I do more profiling I can't guarentee that more fast
path code won't be added in exactly this way. Having to
disable it just for one intransigent vendor is a great pain.

Jeremy.