passwd program now called as user, not as root?

Wed Sep 3 15:12:17 GMT 2003

Hi, (abartlet)!

With
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-cvs/2003-January/079377.html
in change_oem_password we introduced the call to chgpasswd with
as_root=False. At least for me this leads to a broken unix passwd sync.
Now it is called as unprivileged user, not as root anymore. So the
passwd program has to ask for the old password, which is not available.

If this is needed due to security reasons, we should at least document
that it does not work anymore as it did in 2.2

Or is it simply a bug? I don't dare to change the "False" in
chgpasswd.c:984 it "True" as I'm not sure about the consequences.

Volker