MS-DFS referral.

Kevin Wheatley hxpro at cinesite.co.uk
Thu Oct 30 15:00:30 GMT 2003

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 02:12:11PM -0800, Shirish Kalele wrote:
> > The patch looks good.
> >
> > Speed is really the only reason the paths were being restricted to
> > lowercase; I didn't think ppl would be that concerned with case in their
> > dfs topology.
> >
> > Anyway, the next step would be to use the results of RESOLVE_DFSPATH all
> > over to prevent unix_convert being called twice for local pathnames.
>
> Yes I thought about that, but didn't want to restructure things
> too much initially.

We have been running with a similar patch on our 2.x samba servers (we
lowercase if it's WIN95, otherwise leave case as is). Clients are
mostly Win2K/XP Pro. Haven't had many problems except when you have 2
objects with the same name but different cases, e.g. ABC and abc in
the same directory only 1 of them is fully visible. You see 2 in
explorer but can't navigate into directories, etc.

We've done referals at the top level and at leaf nodes too, i.e.
\\hosts\DFSreferral\images as well as \\vdisk\path\to\our\DFSreferral

Haven't updated to samba 3 yet though.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley                   | These are the opinions of |
| Senior Do-er of Technical Things | nobody and are not shared |