Blank Page printing with Samba 3.0

Rizzo, John john.rizzo at hcmny.com
Mon Oct 13 16:23:40 GMT 2003

I have Samba 3.0 configured to use cups 1.1.19 as a backend for
printing.  Samba is acting as an AD member server and only as a print
server to its clients.  I have over 100 printers configured on this
system and for some reason a blank page is printed after every print
job.  I have tried this with several PPD files from both
linuxprinting.org as well as from the manufacturer and the same is
happening.  This doesn't happen when I print directly through cups
bypassing samba.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am hoping
to replace our current MS printing infrastructure with Samba/CUPS
shortly and this seems to be the last hurdle to getting everything
working perfectly.

[global]
        # server type options
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
        security = ADS
        realm = mydomain.com
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = *

        # to ensure that we do not get elected as the master browser
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No

        # logging options
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        #log level = 3

        # location to store the pid file
        pid directory = /var/run/samba/

        # printing related options
        printer admin = lp
        load printers = Yes
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        show add printer wizard = Yes
        use client driver = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = No
        printable = Yes
        public = Yes
        writable = No
        guest ok = Yes
        read only = Yes
        printer admin = lp

[print$]
        comment = Printer Driver Download Area
        path = /var/samba/drivers
        browseable = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        read only = Yes
        write list = lp

John

This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system. Thank you.