Only WinXP clients working

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Oct 9 17:56:28 GMT 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Greg Stein wrote:

> I am having a peculiar problem with our Samba server on a Redhat 8 box.
> Since we changed over to using encrypted passwords, occasionally only
> WinXP users are able to access files.  If a Win98 or WinME machine tries
> they can get to the file but when they try to open it they get a message
> indicating that the file is read only and it won't open.  Does anybody
> have any ideas?

Turn up the "debug level" to 5 and check the log file to see why these
problems are occuring. You could send me your smb.conf file so I can try
to help you.

The best action you can take is to read the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
available from:

	http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

Cheers,
John T.