NUMCPU bug in spec file of samba-3.0.0-2.src.rpm

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Oct 6 13:49:52 GMT 2003

Nir Soffer wrote:
| The spec file look for number of cpu's by counting line in /proc/cpuinfo
| that contain a "processor" filed:
|
|     NUMCPU=`grep processor /proc/cpuinfo | wc -l`
|
| On Yellow Dog Linux, which is a RedHat 9 based, the cpuinfo file does
| not contain a processor field. When you install the rpm NUMCPU is zero,
| and make fail when called:
|
|     make -j${NUMCPU} proto
|
|     + make -j 0 proto
|     make: the `-j' option requires a positive integral argument
|     Usage: make [options] [target] ...
|
| This is the cpuinfo in YDL:
|
|     cpu             : 740/750
|     temperature     : 63-65 C (uncalibrated)
|     clock           : 264MHz
|     revision        : 2.2 (pvr 0008 0202)
|     bogomips        : 532.48
|     machine         : PowerBook
|     motherboard     : AAPL,PowerBook1998 MacRISC
|     detected as     : 50 (PowerBook Wallstreet)
|     pmac flags      : 00000009
|     L2 cache        : 1024K unified pipelined-syncro-burst
|     memory          : 320MB
|     pmac-generation : OldWorld
|
| I don't know if its a problem in YDL, not using the same cpuinfo format
| as RedHat 9, or how a multiply cpuinfo looks on YDL,  But It would be
| safer to use a default of 1 cpu if NUMCPU is not a positive integer.
| That way the rpm will compile on distributions with wired cpuinfo files.
| Running slower is better than not running at all.

The test works on RedHat 9.  However, I think your suggestion
on a default value is a good one.  I'll apply this to the 3.0
tree today.  Thanks.

cheers, jerry
~ Hewlett-Packard            ------------------------- http://www.hp.com
~ SAMBA Team                 ---------------------- http://www.samba.org
~ GnuPG Key                  ---- http://www.plainjoe.org/gpg_public.asc
~ "You can never go home again, Oatman, but I guess you can shop there."
~                            --John Cusack - "Grosse Point Blank" (1997)