Samba3.0 alpha23 bug

Mads Toustrup madst at ikasths.dk
Thu May 1 10:01:10 GMT 2003

Hi,
This is meant for Samba3.0 developers. I dont know if this is the right
place to ask ... but here goes.

I've set up a samba fileserver which authenticates its users by using
Winbind against a Active Directory.

It seems that there is a bug with this. It looks like Samba sometimes has
problems with authenticating users from groups.

An example.

User1 is a member of Group1
If i set Valid user = @"Group1" ... Now i log in as User1 ... and then i
doesn't work. But if i make Group1 a member of Group2 and set Valid user =
@"Group 2" ... That means i am using group2 like a kind of proxy group....
and then it works... Isn't this wierd?

Also when i tried to set up another fileserver. Then Valid user = @"Group 2"
didn't work (while it still works on the first server) ... but on this
server Group1 works directly.

At this very moment i have 3 servers with Samba3.0 working and running with
about 500 users. I have managed to work around this bug, but it makes no
sense to me at all. Hope it will be fixed sometime =o)

Greetings from
 Mads / Denmark