extended ACL problems for default group w/ 2.2.7a & 2.2.8

William Marshall bmarsh at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 27 21:57:24 GMT 2003

We're having problems on Samba 2.2.7a and 2.2.8, IBM JFS 1.1.1, Linux
version 2.4.20, bestbits ACLs, etc.  The problem is seen with Windows 2000
and Windows XP clients.

I get different permissions for the default group on new files &
directories depending on if the directory tree is xcopied or is moved via
drag & drop in the GUI.  According to level 10 samba logs and ethereal
traces the difference that causes this problem is that the xcopy triggers
serveral transaction2 SET_FILE_INFORMATION level 1004 calls.  Samba does a
chmod on the file or directory while processing this call.  Nothing in this
call looks to me like it should be changing the permissions.

I tried the same test against a Windows 2000 server and found the resulting
permissions are the same for both trees regardless of the copy method.

Items from smb.conf
[acl-test]
   comment = Temp Space to test ACL
   path = /home/group/new
   inherit acls = yes
   nt acl support = yes

We don't have any mention of mask, mode, etc. in the smb.conf

Comparison of the ACLs:
[root at rchs83gd d1]# getfacl smtest
# file: smtest
# owner: bmarsh
# group: bmarsh
user::rwx
group::---
group:admin:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:group::---
default:group:admin:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

[root at rchs83gd d1]# getfacl smtestx
# file: smtestx
# owner: bmarsh
# group: bmarsh
user::rwx
group::rwx
group:admin:rwx
mask::rwx
other::--x
default:user::rwx
default:group::---
default:group:admin:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

ACL on the parent directory of smtest & smtestx:
[root at rchs83gd new]# getfacl d1
# file: d1
# owner: bmarsh
# group: bmarsh
user::rwx
group::---
group:admin:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:group::---
default:group:admin:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

How the directories were created:
Y:\>xcopy smtest y:\d1\smtestx /s /e      (I use the new dir smtestX for
xcopy)
Does Y:\d1\smtestx specify a file name
or directory name on the target
(F = file, D = directory)? d
smtest\t1.txt
1 File(s) copied

Then I drag and drop the same directory onto the same server to get smtest

Thanks,
Bill Marshall