Passwd sync on ldapsam

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 17 03:46:51 GMT 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 06:27, Krištof Petr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I configured samba 2.2.7a with --ldapsam. Works fine.
> Pasword changes are updated on ldap server on
> lmPassword and ntPassword atributes. Good.
>
> But I want to synchronize unix password too.

You need to either tell pam_ldap your Manger DN and password
(keep that file secure!) or use the feature 'ldap passwd sync' in
Samba 3.0.

> Samba did not update userPassword or never
> call /bin/passwd or pam to change it.
>
> This behavior doesnt depend on setting
> unix password sync = yes
> or
> pam password change = yes
>

> smbpasswd does:
>
> - bind ldap seerver
>    search (uid=joe)&(objectClass=sambaAccount)
>
> - bind ldap server
>    search (objectClass=posixAccount)&(uid=joe)
>
> - bind ldap server
>    modify DN: uid=joe,dc=People,dc=company,dc=com
>    attribute ntPassword
>    attribute lmPassword
>
> - bind ldap server
>    search (uid=joe)&(objectClass=sambaAccount)
>    search (objectClass=posixAccount)&(uid=joe)
>
> I think correct behavior is modify userPassword too.

The attribute might not be present - we might not even have a matching
posixAccount.  In Samba 2.2 we don't have the codepaths to get the
plaintext password to the parts doing the LDAP modifications easily.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net