tcon torture test

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Thu Mar 6 09:12:09 GMT 2003

Hi,

Herb and I looked at the TCON torture test a bit today. In our testing we
found that Windows NT4, Win2K and most Samba versions fail it, so we both
wonder which server ever passed this test. We tested NT4 SP3 and NT4 SP6,
as well as Win2K server and Win2K workstation. I have also tested NT4 SP1.

To refresh your memory, the TCON tests connects to a share and opens a
file. It then writes to the file, and then connects to the same share
again, and writes to the file that was originally opened and expects the
second write to fail.

Herb found an interesting case, though. It seems that Pillar Data's CIFS
implementation, which is based on Samba 2.2.x, passes this test. This is
surprising, because it suggests that Pillar has changed their version to
pass this test, when so few other servers pass the test.

Does anyone know of any servers pass the test, and why it is there? It is
interesting to note that it is in the torture code in Samba 2.2.x as well,
so it might be left over from a very early version of NT4. I wonder if it
was only Win9X where this test succeeds?

Regards
-----